Driver training Frequently asked questions

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Home » Get an LGV / HGV Licence » FAQs about becoming an LGV driver

Can I drive my truck with my ordinary car driving licence?

If you passed your car driving test before 1st January 1997 you will automatically have "acquired rights" to categories C1, D1 and B+E entitlements which means you can drive goods vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes, towing a trailer up to 750kg, a minibus up to 16 seats towing a trailer and a car towing any trailer. If you passed your test after 1st January 1997 you are allowed to drive vehicles up 3.5 tonnes (Ford Transit or Mercedes Sprinter sized vehicles but check the Gross Weight on the vehicle's plate because some "Small vans" are not that small!) towing a trailer up to 750kg (but not exceeding a train weight of 3.5tonnes), a minibus up to 8 seats towing a trailer up to 750kg (not exceeding a train weight of 3.5tonnes) and a car towing a trailer up to 750kgs (again, not exceeding the 3.5 tonnes train weight).

At what age can I learn to drive a truck?

18 (it used to be 21 until it was reduced to 18 on 10th of September 2009!).

Can I learn to drive a truck using my car licence?

No. You will need to apply to the D.V.L.A for provisional entitlement of the correct category to be added to your licence. You will also need to get a D4 medical form completed by a doctor.

How can I get this provisional entitlement added to my licence?

By filling in the application pack for vocational driving licences that can be sent out by Ian. The pack consists of a medical form to be filled in by a doctor after a medical examination. If you are local to Nottingham, then I recommend Dr M Clamp on 07802 850084, who is based in Colwick and who is absolutely brilliant. You can go to any doctor for this but many drivers use Cotswold Medicals at, who charge less than most GPs. The pack also contains an application form to be filled in by you that includes an automatic upgrade to photo card driving licence if you haven't already got one. Send the completed application pack (there’s no fee!) to the D.V.L.A. at Swansea – it takes between four days and four weeks to be processed. You can not drive an L.G.V. on the road without the correct entitlement actually being on your licence.

They asked for a "Class 1" drive. Does category C1 mean Class 1?

No. Licence categories changed in the early 1990s. Here are the main categories:

Old Class New Category Description
Class 1 Category C+E Any goods vehicle towing any trailer (no weight restriction)
Class 2 Category C Any goods vehicle towing a trailer up to 750kgs
Class 3 Category C Any goods vehicle towing a trailer up to 750kgs
Licence acquired before 1997 Category C1 Goods vehicle under 7.5 tonnes towing a trailer up to 750kgs
I want to drive an artic - Can I go straight from car licence to artic licence?

No. Here is the process from Car (category B) to artic (category C+E):

Process Comments
Category B Your full car licence.
Apply for Category C You must be over 18 and will have to pass a medical as part of the application process.
Pass L.G.V. Theory tests (Module 1) Well done!
Pass category C practical test Well done again! Your licence will be automatically issued to you by the DVLA with full category C entitlement and provisional C+E entitlement.
CPC modules 2 and 4 (if you are intending to drive professionally) There is no need for a Driver CPC if you are over 21 and you don't intend to drive professionally.
Pass category C+E practical test Well done, you've done it - no more tests! Your licence with full LGV entitlements will be sent to you by the DVLA.
Do I really need a Driver CPC?

If you intend to use your LGV driving licence commercially (for hire or reward) you must have this new qualification. The Driver CPC is enforced on the road in the same way as holding an appropriate driving licence and it can be an offence to drive without it. There are penalties for drivers and operators who flaunt this new requirement. See Driver CPC page.